(Click on any image above to view full size photos.)
Update (7/16/16): The Tacoma has been SOLD!
This is the extremely rare, 5-string version of the sought-after Tacoma Thunderhawk acoustic bass. It also has built-in LR Baggs electronics for plugged-in use (see below). This guitar was manufactured in the U.S.A. by Tacoma before they were bought out by Fender, who ceased production of all Tacoma guitars, so it is no longer available new, and has become a collector’s item.
Click here for a very recent, excellent article on this line of Tacoma acoustic basses.
This bass can be strung two different ways for 5-string playing:
- With a low B string below the E (as this one for sale currently is); or
- With a high C string above the G
This flexible stringing configuration makes it a very versatile instrument, suitable for multiple 5-string playing styles.
I am a collector of rare Tacoma guitars and have numerous models, so I’m selling some of them off to acquire others. This one needs a good home with a 5-string player.
Major pluses of this instrument are:
- Onboard LR Baggs active preamp/pickup system with volume, bass, treble and notch filter (feedback) controls.
- Great projection with plenty of volume, even when not plugged in.
- Large but manageable body size (same body as Tacoma’s baritone guitars).
- Surprisingly lightweight for its size and projection — great for stand-up playing during long gigs.
- Custom-fitted case is extremely rugged and well built, and in excellent condition.
- Large, invisible pick guard around the center of he body.
Basic specs are:
- Signature Tacoma upper-bass bout “paisley” (kidney bean-shaped) soundhole
- Signature Tacoma asymmetrical bridge
- Solid Sitka-spruce top
- Mahogany back and sides
- Bolt-on mahogany neck
- Rosewood fretboard and bridge
This instrument is in superb condition, with only minor, superficial scratches on the front of the body.
This 5-string version is very hard to find, but the more common 4-string version sells in the $1000 – $1200 range. We’re asking $999 and will include FREE shipping within the continental U.S. If you’re interested, please email us. Serious inquiries only, please.